We had our first gardening club of the year at 37 Lawrence Way today! It was cold, but we still had enough courage to sow many things in pots for the coming season 🙂
We even harvested some spinach!
We had a great time at the fresh produce swap and share stall at the Pumpkin Festival Farmer’s Market. Thanks a lot to Dave for the giant pumpkin and other vegetables and to all other growers who shared (and swapped) their produce! We not only managed to give the full pumpkin bit by bit, but we also had fun giving it a funny face.
We had a wonderful day at Daily Bread’s 25th Birthday, swapping and giving vegetables. Many great stalls and the sun was even here most of the day!
Thanks a lot to everyone who was involved and gave food surplus from their gardens and allotments. It’s was so encouraging to see many people being enthousiastic about giving and sharing food, and about all Transition projects.
We also managed to give the giant pumpkin, piece by piece 🙂
We had so much fun at Kettle’s Yard Open House Gathering at North Cambridge Academy! There were many people, despite the rain, with whom we had great discussions about what we do at Growing Spaces 🙂
Our next event will be the Fresh Produce Swap and Share on 30th September at Daily Bread. We hope to see many of you for this special day!
We had a wonderful sunny time for our second gardening club at 37 Lawrence Way!
We filled another raised beds in which we planted beans and sowed kale and onion. It was also so nice to see how what we planted last time had grown so beautifully.
Thanks to everyone for this great moment! Our next gardening club is on Saturday 2nd September at 11am. Save the date!
We created a new edible garden at the North Cambridge Community Partnership to help them relaunch their gardening club.
Several giant raised beds were waiting for soil and plants to make this garden flourishing and inspire future gardeners. We had many families joining this wonderful event and they all enjoyed filling the raised beds in a permaculture way, plant many herbs and vegetable, saw seeds and even harvest onions!
The next gardening club is Saturday 12 August at 11am. Keep the date!
This garden looks so great, I’m sure we will all enjoy resting under the tree at our next gardening club session 🙂
Growing Spaces Meeting Agenda Minutes
– We are organising a tour of the spaces at the north of Cambridge (north of the river). The idea is to see our growing spaces together and decide what we can do for them this year (add signs, contact neighbors, plant more things…). We will start with a visit of the north spaces on the weekends of the 6th or 13th May. Please, could you fill in this doodle to let us know what dates are best for you? https://beta.doodle.com/poll/fs85tdsidic58p7h#table
Following the journey bellow we will see these growing spaces (in order):
1- The hidden castle garden
2- Castle Raised beds (potential futur space)
3- Victoria Road throughway (potential futur space
4- Harris Road Raised Beds (potential futur space)
5- The Edible Roundabout
6- 37 Lawrence Way Raised beds
7- Armitage Way Raised beds
8- Daily Bread Raised beds
– We will organise a schedule of the gardening events happening this season to see all spaces this year (one space every 2 weeks). More to come soon!
– News on the Art project at our Daily Bread Space: The art project is close to the end! You can find the story of this wonderful project here!
– Rosie applied on behalf of growing spaces to an offer of a Grow Wild kit for community groups and it just came through! The kit consists of an oyster mushroom growing kit and two boxes of various kinds of wild flower seeds. There is a poster in each box with lots of colorful info and stickers. It seems like a wonderful package, which would be great to use with a bunch of kids. If you know any school or community group with kids that would do many great things with this, please let us know!
– From the Transition Cambridge hub meeting:
Earth Optimism day in Cambridge is happening on 22nd April. TC will have a stall. You can find more information about this event here.